Hello BOLPA Family!
Every year we have the honor to celebrate the rich culture of our ancestors for the entire month of February. This year we get to do something very special while we celebrate.
We are having a Black History Art Auction!
When: February 18th
We will begin accepting bids starting at 5:30 PM. The comment section will close at 7:00 PM.
There will be 5 stages to our auction that tells the story of our ancestors and speaks to a future we all wish to see one day:
1. Pre-Bondage: depicting what life was like before slavery
2. Bondage: depicting what life was like in a strange land with harsh living conditions
3. Freedom Fighters: depicting the strong and brave people that fought for our freedom
4. Activists: depicting the courageous that fought/are continuing to fight for our equality
5. True Freedom: depicting what true freedom will look and feel like
Each piece for our auction will be created by our very own K2-2nd grade scholars. This auction is very important for 2 reasons:
1. It is teaching the culture and history of our ancestors through hands-on creativity. Art has influenced society for centuries by changing opinions, instilling values, and translating experiences. Art is often known as a type of universal communication as it transverses languages and speaks through images, sounds and stories. Allowing our scholars to learn through creating will help them express themselves while also embracing their history.
2. This Art Auction is our first school fundraiser of the year! Our goal is to raise money for a scholarship fund that will help a family during this hard economic time. For us to reach our goal, we will need the support of our BOLPA Family and Friends!
The K2 and K3 classes will be creating Ceramic Tile Art at school. They will learn the importance of telling a story and expressing themselves through art.
The K4-2nd classes will have a chance to sign up for different art projects. Follow these instructions to help your scholar sign up for their preferred project:
1. Go to website: https://www.volunteersignup.org/J9PLD
2. Select the row that contains the project your scholar would prefer
3. Fill out the form with your scholar’s first and last name and your parent email
4. After filling out the required form, check your email for the project rubric and details (please give up to 24 hours for the form to be processed)
Please note that there is a limited amount of space for each project and the signup sheet is first come first served. If you have any questions regarding signing up you can select the button at the bottom of the list labeled “Contact the signup sheet manager” and we will assist you as soon as possible.
Out of all the submissions, the 3 projects that raise the highest bids will receive special prizes!
All projects are due by February 12th.